EB-5 Investor Green Card
E-2 Investor Visa, E-1 Trader Visa
Work Visas
Employment Green Card
Fiance Visa
Family Immigration
Aboused Spoouse/ Widowed Self-Petition
Visit our Blog
Visit our Blog
Visit our Testimonials
Visit Our Resources
Visit Our Company Formation
Visit Our Company Formation
Member of American Immigration Lawyers Association
Florida Immigration Lawyer Firm Profile Contact Us

K-1 Fiance Visa, K-1 Fiancee Visa

When a U.S. citizen intends to marry a foreign person, but wishes to bring the fiancé(e) to the U.S. before marrying, he/she can petition for a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa, which allows the foreign fiancé(e) to come to the U.S. to marry the U.S. citizen.

In order for the foreign fiancé(e) to qualify for the K-1 visa,

  • the parties must have met personally within the previous two years;
  • both parties must be free to marry and intend to marry within ninety days of the foreign applicant's entry to the United States;
  • the sponsoring U.S. spouse must be able to meet the minimum income requirement (or another qualifying U.S. citizen will sign the affidavit of support).

The foreign fiancé(e) may bring along children under 21 from a previous marriage or relationship under a K-2 visa.

The U.S. citizen petitioner files a petition for the foreign fiancé(e) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once this petition is approved, the U.S. consulate in the country of residence of the foreign fiancé(e) is notified, and the foreign fiancé(e) submits a visa application to obtain the visa.

The Consulate will request a medical exam from the applicant and schedule an interview with a consular officer for the applicant. If the interview goes well, the consulate will issue the K-1 visa stamp in the applicant's passport.

Upon arrival in the U.S. (no later than 6 months after the visa is issued), the K-1 visa is valid for 90 days, during which the U.S. citizen and the foreign fiancé(e) are expected to marry. If they do not marry within that time frame, the foreign fiancé(e) must leave the U.S. K-1 status can neither be extended nor changed to a different immigration status.

Note: If a U.S. citizen and a foreign fiancé(e) intend to marry in the U.S., and the foreign spouse enters the U.S. with a B-2 tourist visa or under the Visa Waiver Program (without a visa), the foreign fiancé(e) can be accused of preconceived intent or visa fraud. This can have serious adverse effects on the subsequent green card case pursued by the foreign spouse. Therefore, it is important for a U.S. citizen and foreign fiancé(e) who intend to marry, to pursue either a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa, a K-3 Spouse Visa, or an immigrant visa.

Please feel free to call us 941-362-7100 to discuss your situation or to schedule an appointment with Attorney Anthony Olson at our office in Sarasota or Fort Myers, Florida. You may also email your questions to We will gladly forward you general information by email or call you to discuss your case, if you provide a phone number and a time when you may be reached.